"Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency," is a marvel of a read. From Electric Monks (they believe in things for you) to ghosts and suspicious space-time mechanics, the late Douglas Adams entertains and enlightens. Enlightens to what end, exactly? I'm not sure, but I do remember being left with an overall pleasant sensation and a little skip in my step after I finished.
On a side note, I occasionally forget how to skip. Strange, eh?
The book does have its faults, such as its somewhat ponderous beginning, and the language can be a little rough. The novel somehow seems to lack the polish of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (HHGTTG or THHGTTG or THGTTG or H2G2, for cheaters)," which is strange, because it was written after the bulk of the famous series.
Still, Dirk Gently is an intelligent read, the sort of work that requires a bit of work, thought, and *elbow grease. As a rabid fan of Adams, I heartily recommend this book, though readers new to Adams should probably start with HHGTTG.
*Elbow Grease is apparently a line of personal lubricants. Use while reading not recommended.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment